TECH Unleashed Year Round Program
The TECH Unleashed program is for kids 13-17 years old interested in digital technology, launching this summer in Rochester, NY. Here, teens have the opportunity to learn skills such as web development, coding, 3D-printing, augmented reality development, and much more. In addition to exploring technology, TECH Unleashed is the perfect place to meet new people, develop leadership skills, and build a resume.
Choose mornings or afternoons and dates for the summer camp below.
100 in stock
The TECH Unleashed program is for kids 13-17 years old interested in digital technology, launching July 1st in Rochester, NY. Here, teens have the opportunity to learn skills such as web development, coding, 3D-printing, augmented reality development, and much more. In addition to exploring technology, TECH Unleashed is the perfect place to meet new people, develop leadership skills, and build a resume.
Goals of the Program:
- Available to any young person with an interest
- Appeal to a diverse group, especially girls/minorities
- Participant driven – participants choose projects to work on
- Blend various technology skills to be of service to the community
- Character building and leadership training
- Stay connected throughout the year
- Interaction with young industry professionals and local companies
Over 160 hours of professional mentoring / meetings:
Each year starts with a summer camp in July and August at the Boundless Connections TECHNOLOGY CENTER (2nd floor of the Sibley Square building, 260 East Main Street in Rochester, NY) where the main service projects are selected by the participants. There are also 2-day camps during the winter and spring breaks. The group also meets one evening a week between 7pm and 9pm (during the school year) to continue to work on tech service projects and have the opportunity to engage with their community while developing the technical skills needed to complete the projects.
While the community service projects are the glue that keeps the group focused on developing their tech skills, participants will also get instruction on project and time management, leadership and team building, public speaking, research, conflict resolution, and industry networking.
The TECH Unleashed participants will receive their own membership to the Boundless Connections Technology Center ($1,250/year value). They are the only kids (under 18) allowed in the Technology Center without a parent or guardian in exchange for assisting other members and keeping the equipment in order. This allows them to interact with the community, gain experience, and become known for their tech skills.
We keep the cost of the program as low as possible. Our goal is to provide the TECH Unleashed Program to any student who is interested. The 10-day summer camp and 2-day camps over the winter and spring breaks includes lunch and snacks. The weekly meetings include pizza and snacks.
The total cost per participant is $2500/year including their own membership to the Boundless Connections Technology Center ($1,250/year value).
Scholarships are available! Boundless Connections and Strength Solutions, have combined resources to make this program affordable for the young techies in the Rochester, NY area. We are pleased to announce that we have secured enough funding to provide partial scholarships on an as needed basis. If you feel that you are unable to cover the cost of the program simply indicate the amount you can contribute on the registration form.
• JCC hosted the 1st summer camp
• 12 amazing young people
• 1 female
• 1 brilliant and ambitious service project
• $7,000 in contributions
• Added Friday night meetings
• Added Winter and Spring 2-day camps
• 25 participants (7 girls)
• Moved to BOCES
• Formed non-profit – Strength Solutions
• Developed their own website
• $14,000 in contributions & grants
• 32 participants (12 girls)
• Completed phase 1 of initial service project
• Completed website for St. Joseph’s Church
• Started a music video
• 5 members certified as Virtues Facilitators
• $21,000+ in contributions & grant
• Started poverty simulator for United Way
• Started website for Southern Tier BBQ
• Completed phase 2 of initial service project
• Moved to BC Technology Center
• Installed 10 network security cameras
• 3 members certified as Virtues Facilitators
• $28,000+ in contributions & grants
• Finished demo of poverty simulator for UW
• Presented POV sim for NYS UW in Ithaca, NY
• Finished website for Southern Tier BBQ
• Installed Minecraft server accounts
• Helped YEA participants web & 3d designs
• 2 members certified as Virtues Facilitators
• $31,000+ in contributions & grants
• 29 participants (15 female)
• Moved to new location (doubled size)
• Set up 5 different 3d printers
• Assisted with TECH Tuesdays in Rochester
• 4 alumni return to work at tech center
• 1 member also involved in TECH Launch
• $100,000+ in contributions & grants
Goals for 2019/20:
• Increase to 50 kids in pilot Tech Center
• Expand program to Rochester
• Enroll 100 kids in Rochester
• Hire 5 TECH Unleashed alumni
• 5 members certified in Virtues Project
• Raise $250.000+ in contributions & grants
"You may notice that we refrain from using terms such as teacher/student. We recognize that many of the participants know more about specific technology than we do and so we strive to get out of their way by allowing as much autonomy as possible while maintaining a comfortable, diverse, and cooperative environment. The result is an enthusiastic and respectful group that is surprisingly productive… without losing their ability to play and think outside the box. We are honored to have the privilege of working with the next generation of tech giants." ~ Mike Marvin and Christina Lopez
10am-1pm, noon – 4pm
July 1-5, 8-12 and August 5-9, 12-16, July 15-19, 22-26 and August 19-23, 26-30